Monday, September 22, 2008

We Interupt This Program....

...... to bring you a message about Matt. I am not good at the mushy gushy stuff. I pretty much just skipped over Father's Day and Matt's birthday when it came to blog posts. So I thought I would just share an email he got the other day that shares some of my same feelings about Matt that I love. (Note to Matt: Please don't be embarrassed or even slightly mad, never mind I don't think you really ever get mad or embarrassed.)


Subject: MR. OLPIN!!!!

Wow, I can't believe that I found you! I think it has been probably like eight or nine years since I saw you last. Lets see if you'll remember me. So, I'm A____ J____, I was in your CATS program in third and fourth grade. You are by far the most amazing teacher that I ever had. I just graduated from high school early, and I am going to CGCC and am majoring in elementary education. I'll probably transfer to a bigger university later, but since I am only 17 I can't exactly get my own place. But anyways...YOUR BABY GIRL IS SO CUTE!!!! Geez I still cant get over the fact that I even found you. I felt like the biggest idiot typing your name into google, and Olpin art center came up, and I was so confused but then there was the pictures and i dont think you could ever change. Haha well my teacher for my education course wanted us to try to find the teacher that made the biggest difference in our lives. And, well, I think that you definately made the biggest difference than any of my other teachers! I never learned so much in any other class as I did in yours, and I am still learning things today that I learned back in your classroom. I cant even explain how much you have made the hugest difference in my life!! I can still see you reading my stupid 108 page story, that i made the font really big so that it would look longer than K____, eating pizza. The best part was that you treated each student as an individual and helped us all reach our goals. I only wish that I could be half the teacher that you were, but I think its pretty much impossible! By the way- congrats on the art deal! i dont know how long that has been going on for, but thats awesome!!! ill have to come by and check it out one day. And what the heck, when did you have a son?! or did you always have him? i cant remember, I thought you only had a girl...dang i remember talking to your wife at recess when she was pregnant!! Ha tell her i said hi! Well I'm sure you are super busy, so ill let ya go, but it was awesome findin ya!!-A____J_____




We love you Daddy!!!! YOUR THE BEST!!!

8 comments:

Ann Riggs said...

ahhhh!

Nicole said...

that was the best non-gushy/gushy post ever!!! It totally makes me think back to all my teachers that I loved and that really made a difference in my life!

Rogers said...

Thanks for sharing! Thanks to all the great teachers out there, they really can make a difference!
Love the picture!

Cheryl said...

That's sooo cool! It's really, really nice to find out that someone appreciated what you did for them years before. I'll bet he silently enjoyed reading that letter & tried not making a big deal over it, huh? He's such a quiet guy.

About a year ago, I was at the wedding reception of someone I had taught in Primary years & years ago & her mom told me some pretty cool stuff that this girl had told her--about me! Still makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Mamacita said...

Cecily, that's awesome! We can all hope we made a difference in someone's life like Matt did. Kudos to the teacher who encouraged his/her students to look for the teacher that made a difference!

Jodi said...

That's awesome! Matt really is a great guy and it's so nice to get letters like that to confirm it sometimes. Yay Matt!

Chelsea said...

What a cute post! You crack me up :)
That is really so cool that she found Matt and wrote that letter. Is Matt going to write Cody's dad a letter?! ;)

Maddy said...

That is so awesome!

PS Sorry I missed Book Club. I totally spaced it. The whole half day thing is throwing me off.