At the end of last school year we decided to put Ruby on a waiting list for a different school. This school is the next closest to our home and just about everyone we know that lives near us goes to it. I had been feeling Ruby wasn't getting what she needed from her current school at the time and a few other issues really bugged me. However school started on Monday and she hadn't gotten in yet, so she went to her old school. But on Tuesday I called and they had an opening, so on Wednesday she went to a new school. Oh and she also started piano lessons on Tuesday. It's been a long week.
I didn't take any pictures of her first "fake" day of school because she was a little cranky and quite forcefully asked me not to take her picture. Matt took her to school and walked her to her class where she would not let go of his leg and clung onto him until he pried her off. I can imagine there was also some crying and whining to go along with the clinging. Ruby does not like change and the unknown.
On her first "real" day of school she was very nervous to go to a new school. As I said, Ruby does not like the unknown. She got ready without too much of a fuss and we got to school and walked up to her new class to meet her teacher and she pretty much freaked out. She was clinging onto me and hiding behind me and of course some whining and whimpering was going on too. She has a few friends she knows form church in her class already. Her friend Lizzie was being so nice showing us where her backpack goes and lunch box. She even gave Ruby a little hug to help her feel better. Ruby however wasn't being so kind. She just wanted to leave. I stayed (along with Joe and Clara) with her for about 30 minutes. But I knew what was eventually going to happen and it wasn't going to matter when I left. So I said Ruby I need to go now you are a very brave girl and will be just fine and then gave her a hug and kiss and walked to the door. She followed. I opened the door and stepped out. Ruby then gave out a blood curtailing scream. I gently pushed her back in the room enough so I could close the door. She gave out a few more loud scream/cries. I quickly stood by the outside doors at the end of the hall right next to her class room. Liberty is an indoor school.... so every door down the 2nd grade hall promptly opened and four every concerned teachers stuck their heads out. They looked at me standing there with my two smaller children and they all in turned asked if everything was OK and if they could help. I can only imagine the conversation that went on in the teachers lounge at lunch.
When it was time to pick her up I was waiting outside her class room so I could get a report form her teacher. Mrs. R was giving all the kids high-fives as they left. All of a sudden there is Ruby with the biggest smile on her face giving her new teacher a big high-five! Her teacher said she cried for about 10 minutes then sat on the floor in the corner for about 20 then she crawled to her desk then eventually slinked up into her chair and then by 10:30 (I left about 8:40) she was completely fine and fully participating. She had a great day! Ruby = Extremes.We went and got ice cream after school as a celebration of a good day at her new school. She admitted to me here about the day.... "I kind of liked it"
"Ruby do you want me to walk you to your class?" "Do you know where to line up?"
"Wait...Ok...I guess....have a good day....."
9 comments:
I love your comments about walking her to class. One day you can't get out of the room and Matt can't get her off of his leg...the next she doesn't even need you. I guess you were right, she just needed to get used to her new surroundings! I'm so glad she got in and that she had a friend like Lizzie to make her feel better.
Poor thing. I am glad her day got better. She and Riley are alike that way. Will they ever grow out of it? Ihope so.
Oh my gosh, poor Ruby! Did you cry? I would have cried! It's such a good learning experience for them but so hard for us! She's so pretty!
Yeay for uber-brave Ruby ;D She is going to love her class. It has such cute kids in it! She seemed pretty happy on Friday!
Good for her! I was such a Momma's girl, I hated it when she left, but I loved school! As big as they act sometimes, they are still little.
Oh, and I just want you to know the invitation to view our blog is there (we're going private), so if you could e-mail me at amyhfetter@gmail.com I'll get you invited ;) Thanks!
She got a wonderful teacher. Carter had her. I am glad to hear she got in and has friends like Lizzie in her class.
That is so funny/sad?? It's just goofy about how kids can do that. You've already heard horror stories about Madison's picture taking experience at dance class. I'll tell you though, when Jodi was little, I remember dropping her off her first day of nursery & she was like pretty much ignoring me she was so interested in what was going on. Didn't care if I was leaving or not. Then, when she was getting ready to go to Gateway College (yes, college!!) I had to take her there on practice drives because she was so nervous about how to get there--LOL! Don't tell her I told you that--not that she won't see this of course. LOL again!
Boy! Ruby and Madison MUST be related. That is EXACTLY how Madison reacts to change. It's good to know Ruby ended up enjoying her day and is liking her class. She is such a sweet, beautiful girl. I can't believe she is in second grade already. Sheesh! How did that happen?
Post a Comment