Joe was the student of the week this last week in his class. When you are the star student you get to bring home "Liberty Pup" to spend an entire week with you. You also get to make a poster, bring a jar full of something (mainly a treat) for the class to estimate, parents get to write a letter to their child, you also get to bring in a bag full of stuff for show and tell and something else I am sure I am forgetting. I am just glad Joe was star student on a not so crazy busy week.
Clara actually got really attached to Liberty Pup. She loved to haul him around and give him to Joe whenever she felt Joe needed to be holding him. Even after Liberty Pup was gone for a week she would still ask me about him and wonder where he went. Here's a little video:
This is the letter Matt wrote. When I went to eat lunch with Joe on Friday (that was the "other" thing I forgot) Joe's teacher found me and told me this was one of the sweetest parent letters she has ever read. I thought it was pretty cute too.
September 2, 2009
Dear Class,
I am proud to be Joe’s father. Joe is a great kid. He is a very good big brother to his little sister, Clara and also gets along well with his big sister, Ruby. Joe has a lot of talents. He is especially good at making things out of rope, building things out of legos, and playing on the computer.
Joe is very sensitive. He has never liked loud noises like drills or vacuum cleaners. Sometimes I think that is strange because he makes lots of loud noises himself.
He loves animals of every kind. He used to talk to the chickens we had, and they would let him carry them, but the chickens always ran away from me and were hard for me to catch. He loved playing with his grandparents dogs, and now has a dog of his own and a hamster.
Joe even likes insects and bugs. One time when he was 3 years old he told me he had found a cricket in the house. He showed it to me, and I squashed it in a tissue and threw it away. He cried and cried because I had killed his friend. He also had trouble figuring out why his “friend” the fly would never let him catch it.
One of Joe’s favorite things has been to have a “rough time.” In a rough time he gets tickled, smashed, wrestled with, and thrown around by me. Joe is a tough kid, but also the most ticklish kid I have ever known, so it’s fun to give him a rough time.
Joe is a lot of fun to have in our family, and I know you’ll have fun getting to know him in kindergarten this year. We all love him a lot.
Joe’s dad,
Matt Olpin
4 comments:
Oh that is so super sweet! I like the part where Matt thinks it's funny that Joe doesn't like loud noises...
Oh my, that letter brought tears to my eyes. Joe is such a sweet heart.
We loved last year when Liberty Bear came to visit. Sage was very upset when he had to go back.
I love it and am glad Joe likes playing with Riley. She digs him a lot. We think he is a superstar too.
What a sweet letter! I hope my girls get a letter like that from their dad one day!! Very heart-warming!
Post a Comment